“Our Daily Bread provides nutritious meals, special services, and referrals for other services to those in need.”
Our Daily Bread is a community soup kitchen that serves a free, nutritious lunch Monday through Saturday and a Monday evening supper to the hungry and homeless in Denton County and surrounding areas. Our Daily Bread is a 501(c) 3. We serve from the kitchen and dining hall of St. Andrew Presbyterian Church.
In June 2000, more than 20 Denton area churches founded Our Daily Bread as an ecumenical mission for the hungry in our community. In 2017, we will celebrate serving over 800,000 since our inception.
Our volunteers contribute over 30,000 hours of service annually. They are the backbone of our work. They assist with all phases of the operation, including:
- food preparation
- pick-up of donated food
- office assistance
- assistance with fund-raising and grant writing
- social services referral programs
- monthly haircuts
With only one full time paid staff person, the Executive Director, and six part-time staff, the contribution from volunteers is vitally important.
Other services provided by Our Daily Bread include:
- Free, nutritious meals for the hungry 7 times a week
- Weekend snack pack program for the homeless, includes a summer menu developed by the TWU Nutrition department and MREs (Meals Ready to Eat) for a hot meal during winter months
- Hygiene items
- Free “farmer’s market” ranging from fresh fruits and vegetables, boxed grocery products, canned food, pastries, and breads
- Free bus passes for transportation to medical appointments, job interviews, and appointments with other social services
- Shower passes
- Laundry vouchers
- Handicapped-serving of meals
- Financial assistance to help clients receive Texas Department of Public Safety Identification Cards or other services
- Free computer use for job searches and to keep in touch with family
- Free long distance and local telephone service
- Referrals to other social service agencies, for medical care, prescriptions, clothing, housing assistance, utility assistance
- Mail-address service, including receiving, sorting, and distribution of mail
- Application assistance for SNAP (food stamps), CHIPS, Medicaid for Children, MHMR
- On-site representatives from various social services agencies, such as Catholic Charities VA Assistance, Tarrant Area Food Bank SNAP Outreach, Blood Pressure Nurse, Prevent Blindness Texas, Cigna Healthcare Outreach
Check out our Facebook page or Twitter to get the latest news and look at upcoming events.
Our Daily Bread
300 West Oak Street, Suite 100
Denton, Texas 76201